Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Episode 3: Cookbooks & Chocolate Chip Pound Cake

So, I’ve been looking at the bookcase in my kitchen.  It’s the same bookcase that was in my bedroom when I was in junior high except now instead of the Little House books, Nancy Drew, Harriet the Spy, a bunch of Judy Blume books and a stack of “Tiger Beat” magazines, it’s filled with cookbooks.  And I mean that – filled.  There’s probably close to 130 or so if you include the booklets.

Some were a part of my kitchen before my kitchen was even mine. One I can’t even read because it’s not in English.  Some come from products – Eagle Brand, Kahlua, Lea & Perrins.  Some were compiled by historic sites, churches or towns to commemorate a bicentennial or other special occasion.  German food is represented.  So are Hungarian food, Italian food and Chinese food.  I have cookbooks from inns and cooking schools.  I can cook with Laura Ingalls Wilder, Nancy Drew, the Chippendales or the Mafia and even take a peek at how Ben & Jerry made my favorite (and now discontinued) flavor.  I even have a cookbook I won by throwing a tomahawk.

I have a book dedicated to pies, cobblers & crisps.  Books for fondues, cookies and green tomatoes.  I have 800 pages of Jacques Pépin teaching some primo kitchen techniques.  I have LaRousse Gastronomique – a glorious 1,300 page encyclopedia of gastronomy.  And if I really want to, in a matter of seconds, I can put my hands on a recipe for parsnip wine or even jellied moose nose.  (Yes…you read that right…jellied moose nose.)  And that’s not even counting all the recipes cards or the hundreds of recipes I have clipped from Family Circle, Women’s Day, Yankee & Bon Appetit.

So let me tell ya what I’m gonna do – every week I’m going to try 3 new recipes.  (Shhhh this week is only 2)  An entrée, a side and a dessert.  Keepers get a card and go into the recipe box.  Stinkers will be revealed and noted as such.  Of course, I’m not necessarily going to follow the recipes exactly.  I mean…this is me we’re talking about.  LOL  But fear not!  When I’m blogging about them, I’ll be sure to tell you what the recipe said and what I ended up doing if it was something different. 

First up – a recipe I clipped from a Family Circle, I believe.  It’s Chocolate Chip Pound Cake.  Now, I have no scale in my kitchen, so I have no idea what 3 ½ cups of flour weighs…or what 4 eggs plus 4 egg yolks weighs.  And I’m really not sure when pound cake stopped containing a pound of butter, exactly…maybe it was when the half gallons of ice cream lost that pint and became a quart and a half…I don’t know.  But I know this – this recipe is totally going into the recipe box cuz it’s a damn badass cake!    I made it as is and it’s fabulous!  And for a little extra indulgence, I had a slice with a schmear of cream cheese.  TO DIE FOR!!  I’m also thinking it’d be tasty with white chips and pistachios….

Chocolate Chip Pound Cake

  • 3-½ cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting pans)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325°.  Coat two 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.  Dust with flour; shake out excess & set pans aside.

Stir together flour & salt; set aside.  In small bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks & vanilla; set aside.

Cream butter & sugar together on medium-high speed until very light and fluffy, about 6 minutes.  Reduce speed to medium & gradually pour in the egg mixture.  Increase speed to medium-high and beat 3 minutes until light and fluffy.  Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture.  Beat until just blended.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Divide batter between pans & smooth tops.  Bake at 325° for 1 hour & 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool in pans on wire rack for 30 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on rack.

Rock on!  Peace.  Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment