Friday, February 11, 2011

Episode 6: Giada’s Yummy Fried Smashed Potatoes

Well, my version of Giada's Fried Smashed Potatoes with Lemons. Her recipe makes twice as much. Mine only serves 2. Also, I didn't have lemon in the house, so I went with orange. Of course, I added bacon (3 strips, diced & fried til crisp) cuz I'm like that. And I added hot pepper flakes, cuz I'm like that too. Giada, being Giada, uses fresh herbs. I've got dried herbs from Penzey's in the house right now, so that's what I used. Conversion for fresh herbs to dried is to use one third the amount called for when using dried – so, switch the tablespoons to teaspoons. So, Giada's 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley became 2 teaspoons of dried parsley. I'll definitely make these again. And I may not bother switching to lemon.


 

  • 1 pound baby or fingerling potatoes
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra if needed
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled & halved

Put the potatoes in a pot with enough cold water to cover by 2 inches, at least. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook about 20 to 25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Drain and allow to dry for 5 minutes. Gently press the potatoes until lightly smashed. (Giada uses her palm; I used my stainless steel bench scraper.) In a large, non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic & cook until fragrant and lightly brown, about 1 minute. Remove the garlic & discard. In batches, add the potatoes and cook, without disturbing them, until golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Gently turn the potatoes over, drizzle with olive oil, if necessary, and cook until golden brown on the other side, another 5 to 8 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk together:

  • 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • 1 ½ tablespoons orange juice
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
  • Salt & pepper to taste

Spoon the dressing over the potatoes (and bacon, if using) and toss gently until coated. Adjust salt & pepper, if necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment